I’m pretty sure I’ll be perusing my collection for a Father’s Day short film (I just love ’em!) but there’s just something about this holiday that coerces me to dedicate a personal festival to it. Perhaps it’s the undeniable fact that I am a daddy’s girl, my father’s princess. I’ve come to the point that I unabashedly admit this. We have a weirdly special relationship. Or perhaps it’s because my stone heart rarely weeps for films, although it squeezes out tears when it’s a scene with a father and his daughter. Such occasions baffle my senses. Whether they are my strong suit or my kryptonite, father-daughter films have a hold on me.
Favorites! – have watched this and have turned my stone heart into wet tissues
1. Armageddon (1998) – Never fails! Bruce Willis, why did you have to break your promise? Why did you let your daughter say goodbye to you through a crackly screen? Why?
2. Grace is Gone (2007) – Father has to tell his two daughters that their mom dies in Iraq. On a beach. After a road trip. WTH. Thanks Clint Eastwood for the tearful soundtrack.
3. The Descendants (2011) – All right, this one didn’t really make me cry but it was still a refreshing film during that season. Well-acted, beautifully scored.
4. La vita è bella (1997) – I cannot believe this is not included in the list to see before I die. It’s one of the greatest stories and one of the saddest endings ever. Never mind it’s not father and daughter, tears for both laughter and heartache. Principessa!
5. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – How a father is seen through the eyes of the daughter. One of the most powerful books put into film.
Challenges! – let’s test the waters in my eyes
1. Kramer vs Kramer (1979) – Okay so this doesn’t really involve a daughter, but still.
2. Tree of Life (2011) – Terrence Malick, I am a fan. Will watch.
3. The Bicycle Thief (1948) – Simple story of a father looking for his bike, or so we think. Must watch.
**Italicized titles are included in the list of 1011 Movies You Must See Before You Die which means, they get me closer to the end of my quest